What do the Eating Disorder Care Plan (EDP) items cover?
These items are relevant for medical practitioners in general practice, consultant psychiatrists or consultant paediatricians and eligible Clinical Psychologists and Psychologists, Occupational Therapists, Social Workers and Dietitians.
Brief summary of the MBS changes and list of items can be found in the Medicare Items Summary.
Who is eligible for an EDP?
People diagnosed, as per DSM 5, with:
- Anorexia nervosa (automatically eligible), or
- Bulimia nervosa (and meets additional criteria), or
- Binge eating, (and meets additional criteria), or
- Other specified feeding or eating disorder (and meets additional criteria).
The patients (with a diagnosis other than anorexia nervosa) must have:
- A global EDE-Q score of 3 or higher; and
- Their condition is characterised by rapid weight loss, or frequent binge eating or inappropriate compensatory behaviour as manifested by 3 or more occurrences per week
In addition, these patients must have at least two (2) of the following indicators:
- Clinically underweight with a body weight less than 85% of expected weight where weight loss is directly attributable to the eating disorder.
- Current or high risk of medical complications due to eating disorder behaviours and symptoms.
- Overnight inpatient admission for an eating disorder in the previous 12 months
- Inadequate treatment response to evidence based eating disorder treatment over the past six months despite active and consistent participation
Approved Treatments for those on an EDP and Training options
The Approved Psychological Treatments to be Delivered Under Medicare
- Family Based Treatment for Eating Disorders (EDs) (including whole family, Parent Based Therapy, parent only or separated therapy)
- Adolescent Focused Therapy for EDs
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) for EDs (CBT-ED)
- CBT-Anorexia Nervosa (AN) (CBT-AN)
- CBT for Bulimia Nervosa (BN) and Binge-eating Disorder (BED) (CBT-BN and CBT BED)
- Specialist Supportive Clinical Management (SSCM) for EDs
- Maudsley Model of Anorexia Treatment in Adults (MANTRA)
- Interpersonal Therapy (IPT) for BN, BED
- Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT) for BN, BED
All health professionals who plan to deliver services covered under the Eating Disorder Plan items must be appropriately trained. Our online training packages provide introductory training in treating eating disorders. We encourage interested clinicians to additionally access further specialised training and ongoing supervision.
The Essentials: Training Clinicians in Eating Disorders
This training is a comprehensive package addressing the nature, identification, assessment and treatment of individuals with eating disorders. This extensive program offers immersive learning, incorporating role-plays, resources, expert videos, interactive exercises, and quizzes. Designed to meet the requirements of the NEDC competency framework for clinicians training in eating disorders, this course covers all the essential areas of basic training in the field. You’ll develop the necessary skills for each crucial step in the diagnosis, assessment, and treatment of clients across all major eating disorder diagnoses, for both children and adults.
Watch the Demo
Community Training for Dietitians – The Essentials
Gain a comprehensive introduction to eating disorders specifically tailored for community dietitians through this extensive online learning course. Designed to be highly interactive, this program includes expert videos, engaging case studies, quizzes, and downloadable resources to enhance your learning experience. The course is structured as a beginner to intermediate practice-based program, ensuring that you develop the necessary skills and knowledge to excel in your role.
Watch the Demo
The Essentials eLearning program is the only online program that meets the NEDC competency framework specified by Medicare
Still have questions? Try finding an answer in our FAQ database.Read our FAQ