What do the items cover?
These items are relevant for medical practitioners in general practice, consultant psychiatrists or consultant paediatricians and eligible Clinical Psychologists and Psychologists, Occupational Therapists, Social Workers and Dietitians.
Brief summary of the MBS changes and list of items can be found in the Medicare Items Summary.
Who is eligible?
People diagnosed, as per DSM 5, with:
- Anorexia nervosa (automatically eligible), or
- Bulimia nervosa (and meets additional criteria), or
- Binge eating, (and meets additional criteria), or
- Other specified feeding or eating disorder (and meets additional criteria).
The patients (with a diagnosis other than anorexia nervosa) must have:
- A global EDE-Q score of 3 or higher; and
- Their condition is characterised by rapid weight loss, or frequent binge eating or inappropriate compensatory behaviour as manifested by 3 or more occurrences per week
In addition, these patients must have at least two (2) of the following indicators:
- Clinically underweight with a body weight less than 85% of expected weight where weight loss is directly attributable to the eating disorder.
- Current or high risk of medical complications due to eating disorder behaviours and symptoms.
- Overnight inpatient admission for an eating disorder in the previous 12 months
- Inadequate treatment response to evidence based eating disorder treatment over the past six months despite active and consistent participation
Approved Treatments and Training
The Approved Psychological Treatments to be Delivered Under Medicare
- Family Based Treatment for Eating Disorders (EDs) (including whole family, Parent Based Therapy, parent only or separated therapy)
- Adolescent Focused Therapy for EDs
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) for EDs (CBT-ED)
- CBT-Anorexia Nervosa (AN) (CBT-AN)
- CBT for Bulimia Nervosa (BN) and Binge-eating Disorder (BED) (CBT-BN and CBT BED)
- Specialist Supportive Clinical Management (SSCM) for EDs
- Maudsley Model of Anorexia Treatment in Adults (MANTRA)
- Interpersonal Therapy (IPT) for BN, BED
- Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT) for BN, BED
All health professionals who plan to deliver services covered under the Eating Disorder Plan items must be appropriately trained. Our online training packages provide introductory training in treating eating disorders. We encourage interested clinicians to additionally access further specialised training and ongoing supervision.
The Essentials: Training Clinicians in Eating Disorders
This training is a comprehensive package addressing the nature, identification, assessment and treatment of individuals with eating disorders. This is InsideOut's original online training program.
Watch demonstration video
The Essentials eLearning program is the only online program that meets the NEDC competency framework specified by Medicare
Still have questions? Try finding an answer in our FAQ database.Read our FAQ