28 Feb, 2023
InsideOut Institute's (IOI) response to Four Corners “Fading Away: Australia's secret battle with eating disorders” episode aired on 27/02/2023.
InsideOut commends the families and individuals who came forward and were documented in last night's Four Corners episode. We acknowledge their significant challenges trying to receive care in a system that is not functioning as it should. Our hearts go out to those who have lost family members and those struggling to avoid this.
Currently, we are advocating, alongside individuals and their key support people, for all people with eating disorders regardless of body size, any co-occuring condition, and across all diagnostic categories:
• Comprehensive community treatment to keep people out of hospital working towards recovery as the evidence base supports.
• Timely admission and adherence to protocols for re-nourishing on medical wards.
• Appropriate training of medical staff in re-nourishing protocols, trauma-informed treatment practices and client-centred treatment.
• Integrated treatment approach between medical and mental health services.
• Early diagnosis and access to prompt evidence based intervention.
• Making eating disorders identification and treatment core business for all parts of the health system.
• Increases funding for research activities to give people access to innovative treatments under clinical trial and to lead to breakthroughs.
We have much work to do but the building of the system we need has begun and we must keep advocating for funding for treatments that will benefit all, prevent deterioration and above all work.
Anyone needing immediate support with eating disorders or body image issues is encouraged to contact: Butterfly National Helpline on 1800 33 4673 (1800 ED HOPE) or firstname.lastname@example.orgFor urgent support call Lifeline 13 11 14.